Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Let's Begin!

I recently traveled to Savannah, Tennessee (The Catfish Capital of the World) for my cousin's high school graduation. Savannah is a small town, but each time I visit my cousins, I am met with many wonderful adventures in food & shopping in this sleepy Southern gem of a town. As I rode around town with a geeked 18 year old on her graduation day, she informed me of a little shop with THE best fish sandwiches she has ever had. So we go, and it was AWESOME! All I could do was think about where I live and why have I not took the time to venture to a new restaurant or shop to patronize my Huntsville neighbors? What a disservice!

This is long overdue. I am not a newcomer to this area, in fact, I have lived here for 18 years. What I have noticed is that we become complacent when it comes to restaurants in this area. We rely on national food chains we know and love, which is perfectly fine if that is what you go for! But what about the little guys? The Mom & Pop shops with food to die for??? Well...I have made it my quest to find those places and share the goods with you!!! Enjoy!

Savannah, Tennessee:

Savannah Sunrise Cafe (click for map)
100 Water St.
Savannah, TN 38372

I ordered a catfish sandwich to go. A huge catfish fillet, lightly dusted in cornmeal and fried served on a soft bun. Mmmmm...DELISH! This is a small cafe that has a solid menu of good Southern cooking! GREAT prices, daily specials and fried pickles (ha!) and something called a "Slug Burger". If you ever find yourself in Savannah...roll on through and give them a holler and stop by the shaved ice hut next door! :wink:

No comments:

Post a Comment