Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Thai, anyone?

***Edited to say that a friend of mine said her own experiences were very different from my own! That makes me feel good to know that diversity lives everywere! I only wish I could have been a part of it *sad face* You have to continue reading to understand what I am saying. Read on!!!***
I must begin this by saying that I, in my own corner of the world, was culturally deprived as a child ::sniff, sniff:: Yes, I admit it. In my personal experiences, in Dayton (Trotwood), Ohio back in the 70's and 80's...at my school, there was basically white & black and maybe one or two other ethnicities within the whole school & neighborhood. I was unaware of other cultures as we grew up in the suburbs of a typical midwestern GM factory town. I remember first tasting Chinese food around the age of 10, and we ventured as far as Sweet & Sour Chicken...oooooh! Mexican...well a deeply Americanized version of it, sure. Italian...pizza from local joints and Prego from the grocery store aisle!!! You are talking about where ketchup is it's own food group AND the spiciest condiment on our kitchen table! Did we ever leave our uncultured shell? Family trips? Sure we had them! But we stuck to well known establishments and did not venture to eateries of the unknown! My culinary vision was highly limited for 33 years of my life until one day, two years ago, during a boring day at work, some co-workers brought in sushi. I was poked and prodded until I took a bite and I found myself liberated! Now, I am eager to at least try something different, and if I don't like it...well, I can never say I didn't try! YAY ME!!!!

Now, I feel better since I got that off my chest...whew! lol!

Let's REALLY begin! :)

As I was rambling on the web the other day, I came across this foodie site, via Google, called Chowhound: For Those Who Love to Eat! Wow...ok, so I guess i'm not alone, eh? :) But I came across this specific blog called My Huntsville Alabama Chow Log by a user named Bomberman760 about the Huntsville area restaurants, opinions and reviews...pretty neat! As I was reading along, me and the Dude were taken aback by a review for a place we have kinda heard of, kinda saw, but never ventured into...PERFECT! Especially since my taste buds stay ready for good Asian cuisine!


Charm Thai Restaurant (click for map!)
7404 HWY 72 Suite D
Madison, Alabama 35758


The Dude treated me to this wonderful place and goodie, goodie...I have pictures!


Photobucket

I was very pleasantly surprised! Perhaps because it is located in a strip mall/plaza...but it was very nice! (Empty tables = fast service!!!)


Photobucket


We ordered soup, appetizer and entrees on this trip.

Traditional Tom Kha Gai (Coconut Soup with mushrooms & chicken)
This soup was absolutely the best one I have had thus far in Huntsville, hands down!

Photobucket

Appetizer is Chicken Satay - Grilled chicken skewers with a peanut sauce w/cucumber salad. The peanut sauce was actually a smoky-peanutty sauce that was not too sweet. Excellent!

Photobucket

I had Pad Thai Noodles with Shrimp. Traditional Thai dish full of great flavors, sprouts, lime wedges, green onions, egg, rice noodles and sauce (peanuts if you choose). Delish! The shrimp was $2 more, and very much worth it.

Photobucket

The Dude had Drunken Noodles with chicken. Not quite sure what this is, but it had a spicy kick to it!

Photobucket

I absolutely adored this place! And our meal was under $30 for 2 people, including appetizer! I hope to be back here very soon and I hope you try them too! And the best part was the view as we walked out.

Photobucket

Where else can you have an international flavor sensation in your tummy across from lush farmland? I love this place :)

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment